Friday, October 23, 2015

Ex Marks the Spot

  My homegirl, Adele, came out with a new single today and it made me think of you. Actually, a lot of things have been making me think of you lately. The changing leaves, the crisp cool air, drives down I49, and your hoodie that I know is hidden in the back of my closet at my parents' house.. I miss you. I miss you more than I thought I would. This feeling is new for me. For the longest time, I felt incredibly liberated and free. I was relieved to be away from you, but now, in the depths of my loneliness, I miss you.


  I miss you in the most innocent form. I miss having someone as my confidante, my companion. I miss having someone to go on drives towards the lake with. I miss having someone sit and play cards with me in Starbucks all night long. I miss having someone to cook for and dress up for. I miss having someone to do life with. 

  So maybe I don't miss you, per se. What I miss is having someone. Because let's be real, I'm so much better off without you.

  I don't think you realized how unhappy I was in the end. I tried with all my might to make things work and to put a smile on my face, but with every ounce and fiber of my being, I could not do it any longer.

  And even though I am in some of my darkest days currently, they are still sunnier without your cloud hanging over me. 

  In a lot of ways, I am here because of you. I do not blame my depression on you, but I do accredit you with being a pivotal point in my life and teaching me so much about myself. 

  I value myself more and know my worth. I know more of what I want in someone I want to spend copious amounts of time with. I know now, that I can't always put my significant other's happiness first, because mine should matter too. You can only pour so much of yourself into someone else without receiving the same amount of effort in return. But most importantly, I am stronger and more confident. Boys don't faze me now, because in that aspect, I am happy with myself, and I couldn't have gotten to this point without you.

  I want to thank you, because the end of us was the beginning of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment